[Sugar-devel] #2399 UNSP: Record 79 (and 86) issues - Sugar 0.84-0.88

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 06:59:09 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Rafael Ortiz <rafael at activitycentral.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Art Hunkins <abhunkin at uncg.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Rafael -
>>
>> Your reply suggests that most children working with SoaS will have
>> upgraded beyond Strawberry.
>
> You are right, this is rarely the truth.

Are there schools out there using Strawberry? I'm certainly not aware
of any long term deployments using SoaS. I would certainly be
interested if there are.

>> What is the case (particularly where high-speed internet connections are
>> not available)?
>>

> I worked with soas one time in a connection constrained environment, we have
> to make
> use of yum cache, doing a copy of the necessary packages and install them
> locally on each PC, not so diffciult if you are working with
> a low quantity of devices.

I'm not sure how this is an issue. The idea of SoaS is you download 1
copy (around 500Mb), customise it and mirror it out to sticks. Its a
one off event. Even my parents on a Satellite connection get a couple
of gig a month of download.

>> This is surely an important fact for developers to know.
>>
> +1.

I don't see how. I try to support release + previous as in the current
release being developed plus the current stable one. In this case its
v5 and v4. Strawberry is 2 years old. Its not exactly bleeding edge
and has massive issues.

Peter