[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] multi-selection in journal

Martin Abente martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 19:08:36 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:31 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 06:38 AM, Martin Abente wrote:
>>
>> Hello Amigos,
>>
>> Lately I have been working on the support for multi-selection in the
>> journal. This feature was originally part of Dextrose3's TODO [1], but
>> during EduJAM [2], many people were interested in having it on Sugar
>> mainstream, so I will give it a try ;)
>>
>> I already have a functional prototype running on sugar 0.9.x (check
>> video!) [3], its design was based on different ideas and proposals
>> [4,5]. My current patch does the minimum required to get this working,
>> avoiding any big code re-factoring or massive rewrites (for now).
>>
>> Anyway, I would like to hear everyone's feedback on the current design!
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> tch
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> thanks very much for working on this!

Thanks for your insightful comments.

> It would be good to attend one of the Design meetings and present to the
> people there your work.
>
> A few things that come to my mind at first glance:
>
> I am a bit worried about that once you select an item you get in a different
> 'mode', the toolbar does change. What does happen to the entry palette which
> contains copy-to/delete/send-to? Is this palette then disabled in
> multi-mode?

Every entry palette should conserve its same meaning: operations over
_that_ particular entry.

> If you look at GNOME or other desktops if you select more than one item and
> do a right click on them you can copy/delete/etc all the selected entries
> (even properties (in Sugar detail) or open do work), maybe we can just do
> the same and do those actions via the palette? The select all toggle could
> be an item in the toolbar.

I believe that changing the meaning of palettes is more confusing,
while having that edition toolbar makes pretty clear what is going on
and it is probably easier to use.