[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [Marketing] ASUS Eee PC X101 @ $199: A worthy non-XO platform for Sugar?

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sun Jul 31 08:06:23 EDT 2011

DancesWithCars wrote:
> I'll take some of that back, I'm running it now,
> 0.90.1 or .2, IIRC, sucrose-0.90
> and sugar-firefox-activity
> sugar-terminal-activity
> and many more .debs I've not tried,
> but am typing in one window on an EeePC (Not X101)
> now.
>
> Didn't pull it all in easily, as in give me a whole environment
> when asked for sugar, but will see.
>
> My comment was on remembering the state
> before, OLPCLC having some issues with Python libraries
> not the same in Fedora as Ubuntu,
> and some abandoned project(s).
> Ubuntu-Sugar-Remix, IIRC,

USR seems to be no longer maintained.
For Ubuntu based solutions look at:

1-)Trisquel "free software"
Sugar 0.88 only:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast#trisquel-sugar_4.5.1_i686

Sugar + Gnome:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Community/Distributions/Trisquel#Install_Sugar_0.88.1x_on_Trisquel_5.0
-Trisquel 5.0 based on the last Ubuntu release (11.04 Natty Narwhal)
--Works fine if you drag-drop surf-115.xo to journal from 2nd usb.
--http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#surf_browser
--You then can install the applications you need from ASLO:
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/

Sugar + Gnome:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast#Install_Sugar-desktop_0.88_.22SWEETS.22
-This is dextrose-2, thus more then just 0.88. it contains several
features that still not committed to the trunk + bug fixes from 0.90+
-Trisquel 4.5 is based on Ubuntu 10.10

2-) Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 "more non-free drivers available"
11.04 has replaced Gnome with the Unity interface plus sugar 0.88.1
-http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Community/Distributions/Trisquel#Install_Sugar_0.88.1x_on_Trisquel_5.0
--Works fine if you drag-drop surf-115.xo to journal from 2nd usb.
--http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#surf_browser
--You then can install the applications you need from ASLO:
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/
-Works fine. Tested on a new install 07/31/2011
-suggestion choose "Ubuntu classic" from gdm log-in switcher. (This
gives Classic Gnome Desktop)

I use an ACER ASPIRE ONE N450 10" Netbook
Everything works on all of these options, including wireless.

Tom Gilliard
satellit