[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] copy-to-option in Journal (part of removing the keep button)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Jul 28 08:22:22 EDT 2011

On 07/28/2011 01:55 PM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> On 07/27/2011 06:00 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
>> Hi Simon,

>>> I sent new mockups going back to my original design without a
>>> 'duplicate entry'. This does 'solve' the issue you raise.
>>
>> FWIW I do still find 'Copy to -> Journal' confusing and unexpected.
>> I'd certainly not look for that functionality it in the 'Copy to' sub
>> palette, and even if I did see the Journal icon in there I would
>> assume it was a bug (this object is already in my Journal, why would I
>> want to copy over it).
>
> Ok, accepted, as you are not the only one. Let's keep the duplicate entry.
>
>> I'm beginning to wonder if we should just replace the activity Keep
>> button with a Duplicate button and not try to expose it in the
>> Journal/details view?
>
> Ohh no, everything but not that :-)
>
>> BTW What was wrong with adding a top-level Duplicate toolbar icon to
>> the Details view (to match how Duplicate was at the top level of the
>> Journal object palette)?
>
> Yeah, thought that as well myself this morning, attached are the new
> screenshots.
>
> Some words about my decisions:
>
> - the duplicate option is only visible in the Journal entry palette and
> the Journal entry detail view, not in the palette and detail view of the
> file on the external device
>
> - the duplicate option is colored in the entry color as this exact entry
> gets duplicated (in the screenshots we see two entries with different
> colors in the same Journal and the color of the option changes
> accordingly), I wondered if the icon itself should show actually two
> colored objects not only one (duplication)
>
> - the copy-to Journal option in the palette of the file on the external
> device is colored in the users color.
>
> - for the copy-to icon I am not sure if colored or black/white makes
> more sense, because uncertain I went for b/w
>
> Regards,
> Simon

Attached a rough screenshot of a both-items colored duplicate icon.

The second screenshot shows Manu's clipboard icon in action. I think I
have only found a version without variable color information in this
thread so only a b/w screenshot. The arrow is a bit small, as far as I
can tell smaller than the arrow in the copy-to, could be bigger imho.

Regards,
    Simon