[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] copy-to-option in Journal (part of removing the keep button)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Jul 26 13:15:02 EDT 2011

On 06/12/2011 05:22 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi Manuel,
>
> On 12 Jun 2011, at 14:39, manuel quiñones wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2011/6/7 Gary Martin<garycmartin at googlemail.com>:
>>> Manuel, you mentioned in the design meeting you had some ideas for a clipboard icon, did you make any progress or have some suggestions?
>>
>> Sorry I completly missed this thread, I'm attaching the idea I had in
>> mind for the clipboard, but I think the reusage of the scissors can be
>> a good choice.  I would prevent a real clipboard icon.
>
> Thanks. OK so that's -2 votes for a clipboard icon (you and Walter), and +2 votes for scissors (you and Simon). Your new clipboard visual is close to something I was also playing with after Walter's comment that he though the icon should indicate/represent the left Frame edge in some way. I'm not sure though that this approach leads to a clear visual for the user to understand (we don't visually indicate places/sides of the Frame in any other cases). Let's see if we get any more feedback from others, but Simon might want to go ahead land a version with the scissors visual if he's ready.
>
>> And I tried another design for the duplicate icon, the two objects side by side.
>
> Yes I like it. More I think than the version I did as it is more visually distinct, especially as the Copy_to and Duplicate icons will sit right next to each other. I've removed the inkscape XML, tidied the code a little and added in the fill/stroke entities for user colour, happy to go with this if there are no other objections:

I went ahead with the design proposal (use of the scissor icon for the
clipboard icon and an extra option for the duplicate option) and rebased
my code. However I run into a few issues I want to explain with the
screenshots attached.

device.png (the option displayed for a a file on a external device): Do
we display the duplicate option there as well (duplicate a file on an
external device)? How is it colored if - black and white because it is
not 'owned'? We miss here the Journal as an option for the file to be
copied to, that can be added.

Journal.png: How does the coloring of the clipboard icon looks like? As
it is only made for one color, coloring it looks strange. Use Manu's
icon instead? Make it black and white? Change the icon to support double
color?

Regards,
    Simon