[Sugar-devel] Registering Sugar MIME types at IANA

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-3 at silbe.org
Sun Jul 24 07:56:11 EDT 2011

While investigating MIME type issues with our mirrors, I noticed that
only one of the three MIME types used by Sugar has been registered at
the IANA [1], namely application/vnd.olpc-sugar. The application had
been filed by John Palmieri of Red Hat (CC'ed).

John, would you be willing to write and submit applications for the two
remaining MIME types? They are:

application/vnd.olpc-content        .xol  Sugar content bundle [3]
application/vnd.olpc-journal-entry  .xoj  Sugar Journal entry bundle [4]

By registering the types at IANA, they will be included in the default
configuration of Fedora systems (and hopefully Debian [5] and Ubuntu
ones in the future as well). That would make it a lot easier for
deployments and individual users to host those files.

Sascha

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/index.html
[2] http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/vnd.olpc-sugar
[3] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Content_bundles