[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2011-07-09

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 18:13:36 EDT 2011

==Sugar Digest==

"Teaching is means making people learn what you want them to learn.
Sharing is finding out what interests people and helping them to learn
whatever it is they want." –Eben Moglen quoting a youth in a Bangalore
slum

1. Raul Gutierrez Segales, Bernie Innocenti, Luke Faraone, Stefan
Unterhauser (Dogi) attended a mini Sugar Camp at my house this week.
(Daniel Drake helped remotely.) We set our sights on eliminating Hippo
Canvas from Sugar in preparation for an eventual migration to GNOME 3
and better accessibility support. (Hippo is no longer supported by
Fedora, so one way or another, we will want to remove that
dependency.)

We've concentrated on the sugar-toolkit and sugar libraries; we'll
look at the Sugar activities with Hippo Canvas dependencies in a
second iteration.

You can track our progress at

http://git.sugarlabs.org/~walter/sugar/no-hippo-sugar

and

http://git.sugarlabs.org/~walter/sugar-toolkit/no-hippo-toolkit

So far, we replaced CanvasIcon (a HippoCanvas) with an Icon embeddded
in an EventBox. Seems to work pretty well, except that I haven't quite
gotten transparency working in the EventBox yet. We replaced the
toolbox (also a HippoCanvas) with a Container. We took Tomeu Vizoso's
work on removing Hippo from favoritesview, integrated it with the new
CanvasIcon class and got the Sugar Homeview working. Finally, we
refactored the Journal Detail View, again using the new Canvas Icon
class. Things are not working 100% yet, but we are within sight of our
goal.

Feel free to jump in.

=== In the community ===

2. Bastien Guerry announced that OLPC France is preparing its 2nd
International Sugar Camp, to be held in Paris, 9–11 September.

3. Among the prizes for the Tux Paint Kids Summer Drawing Contest (See
http://blog.worldlabel.com/2011/tux-paint-kids-summer-drawing-contest.html)
will be OLPC XO laptops and Sugar on a Stick!

=== Tech Talk ===

4. Marco Pesenti Gritti has been working on a framework for HTML
activities (See http://marcopg.org/2011/06/12/html-activities/ for
details).

=== Sugar Labs ===

Gary Martin has generated a SOM from the past few weeks of discussion
on the IAEP mailing list.

http://wiki/sugarlabs.org/go/File:2011-Jul-2-8-som.jpg  (54 emails)
http://wiki/sugarlabs.org/go/File:2011-Jun-25-Jul-1-som.jpg (51 emails)
http://wiki/sugarlabs.org/go/File:2011-Jun-18-24-som.jpg (43 emails)