[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Turn your frequency generator into a super powerful mosquito repeller

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 08:57:05 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 01:53:22AM -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
> >
> > The article probably also fails to mention that peer-reviewed
> > scientific tests of this concept prove it to be useless.
> >
> > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2906666
>
> I disagree.  Those tests were of 20-70 kHz, not 45-67 Hz.  I've found no
> peer-reviewed tests of low frequency sound, but then I don't know where
> to look.  Got any ideas?
>
> (I do see another study on NIH showing high frequency sound induced
> increased biting rates ... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20618651 )

James,

You are quite right, I did not pay close enough attention to the units (Hz
vs kHz) , but at least I provided the citation so I could be challenged :-)

I was a GenBank Fellow at the NIH National Library of Medicine, so PubMed is
my go-to database fo biomedical publications, there are others that might be
checked (e.g. Agricola for agriculture) , but I suspect that PubMed would
have the relevant literature if it existed.  It has over 20 million
citations from thousands (if not tens of thousands) of journals, including
the J Am Mosq Control Assoc.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2906666#>where I found the
citation I provided.

As the mosquito is the unofficial state bird of New Jersey, (where I grew
up), and NJ mosquitos have been know to carry off small children, I have a
natural skepticism of any claims to be able to deter them that are not
rigorously tested :-)

cjl