[Sugar-devel] acti-plications: write once, run anywhere?

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Thu Jan 20 20:58:58 EST 2011

Am I correct that sugar and gnome can co-exist in two different ways right
now?

1. On a dual boot machine, probably an xo, where activities are installed
into /home/user/Activities/ where useris probably *always *olpc

2. Sugar as an application in gnome (within a Xephyr window) where
activities can be installed.... a few places, including
/home/user/Activities/

Next question.. am I correct that the *preferred *way for users to install
activities and applications is:

A. Sugar activities are installed via .xo bundles.

B. Gnome activities are installed via .rpm files.

Now, how should activity developers (who are not writing system libraries
like xulrunner or squeak) put their content so that their
activity/application can be viewed from both sugar and gnome?  I am asking
so children can avoid having redundant copies of files on every machine
running both gnome and sugar.  This is a real problem for content rich
activities with lots of media assets.

By default, an rpm file will install into /usr/lib/python/.  This is
obviously not where sugar looks for its activities.  If we could get an
'educational content' rpm to install its contents anywhere... where should
we put its assets so that they are automatically where they should be for
sugar too?  Any experts out there on rpm spec files?

Or is this a bad idea?