[Sugar-devel] acti-plications: write once, run anywhere?

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Wed Jan 19 08:48:58 EST 2011

> Let's assume delivery of the activity-application is via a usb stick.
>  Let's also assume the video game has 200mb of assets.  The goal is to make
> it as easy as possible to install the activity-application once, from either
> side, and to put the assets in one place.  For sugar, this would be a ~200mb
> xo bundle on the usb stick.  For gnome, this might be a ~200mb rpm on the
> usb stick.
>
> Do all activity and application developers have write access to any part of
> the system where they can add the libraries that they need to the system
> from either gnome or sugar side and then access if from either side?  Where
> and how should assets be installed?

The "best practice" I am concocting is that a developer put all assets
into ~/Actitivities/MyCoolActivity/

The xo bundle will obviously install and point there. Gnome .rpm
installations should point there too.

Hopefully it is straightforward to make the gnome rpm installation point and
run from this location.  Is there anything I should look out for before
going down this path?