[Sugar-devel] acti-plications: write once, run anywhere?

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Tue Jan 18 14:25:55 EST 2011

> The gnome side will most likely be installed via RPMs (or .deb files
> on Ubuntu/Fedora setups). So your Sugar app could just use the
> libraries, binaries and resources/assets from the RPM.
>
> Examples - Write.xo uses the Abiword libraries. Browse.xo uses
> xulrunner (the Firefox libraries & backend). Bert pointed out EToys.
>
> In all those cases, you get code reuse and a small "Activity", but the
> activity completely depends finding the things it needs.

If my acti-plication has dependencies that are not part of the underlying
build, do I need to install them on the gnome side first?  Or can
cross-platform libraries be initially installed on the Sugar side too?

A related follow-up: does it make sense to put cross-platform dependencies
that a gnome activity would need into ~/Activities/MyCoolActivity.activity/
?