[Sugar-devel] porting Sugar on a Marvell tablet (avlite)

Nagarjuna G nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Fri Jan 7 21:39:01 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-1 at silbe.org> wrote:

> I would have expected it to work (IIRC all of the ARM-specific bugs
> I reported at Debian have been fixed by now, some of them recently),
> but I'm nevertheless delighted to hear about your positive experience.

No wonder it worked so well.  yes.  there are some places that keep
some activities on hold due to dependency problems.  On of them is
python-abiword.  Unless this works we cannot get write activity in
place.  I will report more problems as I get into more specific
activities soon.  Currently busy in a conference.

> For a production system running on only 4GB flash I highly recommend
> using native Debian packages instead of sugar-jhbuild, especially for
> storage space reasons. Jonas' repository (see Debian wiki [1]) contains
> some updates and additional packages that didn't make it in time for the
> freeze.

It certainly makes sense.  The debian armel repository does not have
most activities, as a result we end up installing dowloaded
<activity>.XO files from sugarlab.org and populate the user's
directory.  When another user logs in these installed activities are
not available to the other user.  In our Indian situation (since we
don't have enough OLPCs) we need multiple login support on the machine
since we are providing the computers to different classes.  Since we
understand Debian well we wanted to build our own root filesystem for
the devices.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

--
Nagarjuna