[Sugar-devel] Cradleboard teaching project

Sean Linton sean at lpnz.org
Wed Jan 5 18:36:38 EST 2011

I saw a computer program called 'Drum Beats' developed with One Laptop per
Child (OLPC) Canada.
http://www.olpccanada.com/program-12.html

and Native American/Aboriginal Instruments in order to introduce children to
what sound is, the characteristic of sound, wavelengths and how sound
travels. Hands-on experiments and a vocabulary resource provide students
with a working knowledge of words and meaning, as well as an understanding
of Indigenous, Aboriginal, Native American music and sound terminology. This
program was modified for OLPC Canada by Buffy Sainte-Marie."

It was particularly interesting to me to see that the program had been
modified for OLPC. I was wondering if anyone might know who might be able to
provide me with any more information regarding these modifications, such as
how this activity was modified and by whom.

It would be great if we could see programs like this, and develop something
similar, for the indigenous music cultures of more places.

Sean Linton