[Sugar-devel] TurtleBlocks driving lego NXT 2.0 -

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jan 4 14:38:13 EST 2011

On 04.01.2011, at 20:00, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Mike Lee <curiouslee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to also put in a plug for the LEGO's low-cost WeDo robotics
>
> Oh, wishes wishes :-)
>
> Both arduino and nxt are within reach because others have laid the
> foundations. You can easily program them from Linux. Here, we're
> talking about adding glue between TA and existing tools to program
> those 'bots.
>
> AFAICS, for WeDo there is currently no way to program them from Linux.
> That's kind of a stumbling block. Maybe it has a similar controller
> brick or is close enough that you can work with the NXC/NXB people to
> get it supported...
>
> cheers,

Doesn't Scratch support WeDo? There might be a clue. See this thread:

http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=434923

Also, in 2008/09 someone was working on porting the original LabVIEW-based software to the XO (they posted to olpc-devel and Sugar lists without mentioning what it was for). But I have not heard anything ever since (even though LEGO announced XO support in their original 2008 press release). In that thread above it is mentioned that Peru did a project using it.

- Bert -