[Sugar-devel] Text-to-speech on the XO 1.5 with 10.1.3

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Feb 22 20:31:55 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:13:22PM +1100, forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
> Chat also has text to speech
> it might be tapping into some common library?

Yes.  Speak uses espeak via command line, as Chris pointed out.  I found
that in the source too.  I didn't find anything in Chat.

In 10.1.3, apart from Speak, I'm not aware of a way to either:

- select some text and press a button to have it read out.

- tab to screen objects and have them read out.

Both these features are available in other contexts for sight impaired
usage.  I've no idea if that is what was required.

There appears to be some way to use Alt/Shift/S to deliver the current
selection to a speech proxy via DBus, but it doesn't do anything for me
on 10.1.3.  sugar.git/src/jarabe/view/keyhandler.py

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/