[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] insert image in Write

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 22 19:45:16 EST 2011

Hi Fred,

On 22 Feb 2011, at 21:42, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> a small design question regarding inserting an image in the Write document: it took me a while to figure out where the option is - it is currently placed under the table toolbar. However you can insert an image in the document or a table.
>
> Do you maybe have ideas for a better fit for that icon?
>
> Regards,
>   Simon
>
> Yes,
>
> The 'Eye' icon can be easily confused with the Record media activity.
>
> It might be re-purposed generally for media controls, which would be a good place for the image insert icon, and the view controls could be moved to the activity sub-toolbar.

Hmmm, this seems to have little to do with Simon's need to find a more obvious place for the insert image tool, unless you think this single tool should replace the current content of the Write View secondary toolbar? The View toolbar eye icon is already used in a number of activities, are you proposing to update these? We also have at least one Activity that has a pretty full Activity secondary toolbar* and a pretty full View toolbar (Turtle Blocks/Art).

* the extra space is used for different export formats into the Journal, we should do this for Write's export formats as well (currently hiding under the Keep icon). Actually, Walter does have a couple of import from Journal tools in the TA Activity toolbar, perhaps Write's insert image tool could be considered there as an import image from Journal function?

--Gary