[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Reflect internet connectivity in the 'Network' frame icon

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Sun Feb 13 20:00:21 EST 2011

For the schoolserver (and other jabber-based environments), wouldn't the
best check be to see if there is a working gabble connection and that we
are not on salut?

It seems like a lot of people are trying to guess how deployments like
to configure their networks (DNS, ICMP ping support to gateway and/or
Internet, HTTP, etc.).  As at least a few deployments have shown us
(hidden SSIDs, HTTP Proxies, cellular modem routing requests, MAC-based
network restrictions limited to XOs, etc.), our initial guesses are
often wrong.

Personally, I think we might want to separate this out into a basic icon
sort of check in the frame, and a more advanced control panel for
adults/teachers which can do tests and explain things in more detail.