[Sugar-devel] [Design] New Home View Framebar proposal
fgrose at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 22:50:31 EST 2011
The current Home View toolbar is mostly wasted space.
There have been a number of Design discussions suggesting that
* The Home list view is confused with and should be replaced by the
* The Journal Icon should always be available in the Home View.
* The Frame is not discoverable enough.
* The number of and memory consumption of open Activities should be
This proposal addresses these by replacing the Home View toolbar with the
The Home View framebar would
* Activate the full Frame on hover, exposing the Frame for greater
* Provide a permanent link to the Journal.
* Reveal the number of open Activities.
** A dynamic, region for each open Activity instance that was
roughly proportional to the fraction of available memory (back-
highlighted as currently for the active Activity instance) would
help to reveal the memory economics.
* Continue to offer Home View layouts by moving that palette under
the Home F3 palette.
* This design would also eliminate the non-functional search tool,
(F5 or the Search button would still take one to the Journal search
** A search tool could be added to the Home F3 icon palette.
* Until folks are comfortable with and have a 'System' Journal
available through Journal_s_, setting favorites for installed
Activity bundles could be done on a list or gallery view accessed
from the Home F3 palette that would popover the Home View, like the
'My Settings' dialog, to distinguish it from a Journal view (for
** Homunq's sidepane might also be suitable.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Sugar-devel