[Sugar-devel] mime types when moving files from journal to usb

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Fri Feb 11 14:24:39 EST 2011

My video game runs in both gnome and sugar.  I want kids to be able to move
saved games back and forth between these platforms with ease.

I have created a mime-type for saved files in my video game:
application/x-my-cool-game.  Datastore entries' metadata are saved with this
mime-type.

When a video game saved file is dragged to a usb stick, the mime-type is
thrown away (replaced with application/octet-stream), while dragging journal
entries to usb with mime-type application/x-tar (1) keep their mime type (2)
are given a nice .gtar extension to make their life easier in the world
outside of sugar.

Can I give the same benefits (keep mime-type, get an extension) to files
copied from the journal to a usb stick using my own custom mime-type?

The ugly alternative, as I see it, is to make all of my journal entries'
titles' metadata have extensions added to them at creation -- this will make
for a messy looking journal.  But at least the files will have the right
extension  for their life in gnome.