[Sugar-devel] [Dextrose] [DESIGN] Reflect internet connectivity in the 'Network' frame icon

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Thu Feb 10 19:40:35 EST 2011

I believe (but am not 100% certain) that I read somewhere that the
Microsoft approach uses HTTP.  This likely is because if you are using
an HTTP proxy, you may not have external DNS resolution or pinging ability.

As far routers go, I don't know how many of them try to be smart and
indicate full internet connectivity, while others may just acknowledge
they have an active working DHCP lease or PPPoE connection.  Most
routers still try to use NTP to set their own clocks from the Internet
so they could use that too, but hopefully they are a lot saner about
using NTP than they used to be.

What I'd like to avoid with this feature is falsely claiming Sugar is
offline, and having some activity (Get Books, etc.), refuse to function
because it thinks (incorrectly) it cannot do anything.  We can warn if
we want, but we don't want to be persistent about warning if a
deployment is screwy to the point users ignore Sugar messages entirely.