[Sugar-devel] FW: scratch on aslo

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Thu Dec 15 16:55:35 EST 2011

I would find ASLO more useful if it had a "Search all" feature that allowed
people to find
* unmaintained or dormantly-maintained but working activities
* activities that can be freely distributed but are not [confirmed to be]
under a free-software license
* links to activities that are freely available online (somewhere) but may
not be freely distributable (from an aslo server)

Excluding or obfuscating popular activities only makes ASLO a less handy
service.

At any rate, at the point where the ASLO software says to an uploader "that
file already exists in our databsae" it should be able to show that person
the metadata related to the file: who has uploaded it, why it is not
visible, &c.

SJ

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 15 Dec 2011, at 17:44, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
>
> But I don't think is a good idea add a activity without a maintainer.
>

> +1
>
> Activities without maintainers seem like a spiral to the bottom of
> the quality bucket - I'd personally not want to recommend the ASLO site
> to a teacher if we were knowingly promoting and uploading unmaintained
> activities. As an Open Source license (required by ASLO) allows anyone
> to potentially pick up maintenance, perhaps ASLO could be tweaked to hide
> all activities without a confirmed, named, maintainer by default?
>
> --Gary
>

> Gonzalo
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Sebastian Silva <
> sebastian at somosazucar.org> wrote:
>
>>  Actually if the license permits it, there isnt a necessity to await
>> confirmation by original author, although it would be nice to ask, IMHO
>>
>> El 14/12/11 19:46, Rafael Ortiz escribió:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn <
>> alanjas at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>       It's ok uploading those to aslo, if they have OSI compliant
>>> Licences, pointing to original devs, also if they provide a good sugar
>>> experience. More info here:
>>>

>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Library/Editors/Policy#Guidelines_for_accepting_an_activity
>>>

>>>  Ok. The "importants" are in ASLO.. maybe there are some that not..
>>>
>>>  I could test some and upload them. But corresponds me to do that? I do
>>> not want to override the original developers ..
>>>

>> it's necessary to ask first the original devs.

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529
4266