[Sugar-devel] slackware 13.37 and sugar

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Thu Dec 15 11:04:41 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 04:55:35PM +0000, andrew wrote:
> I have been using Soas-2-blueberry.iso installed on a usb ,which has
> been working well.However I keep having to go to an internet cafe
> running windows to use it, this is because my pc is running Slackware
> 13.37 and I have not manged to configure lilo to boot the usb.
>
> Also there doesn't seem to be a capacity on this pc to set bios to boot
> from usb.
>
> The ideal would be to install sugar as packages on slackware 13.37 system
>
> I have had a look at : http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.82/Source_Code
>
> etoys is self explanatory -thats the choice of game apps
>
> whats the difference between sugar-0.82.9 & sugar-base-0.82.2 ?
>
> using src2pkg I have managed to create slackware packages
> sugar-base-0.82.2-i486-1.txz and sugar-toolkit-0.82.11-i486-1 .txz both
> of these have installed ok
>
> i tried creating a "sugar build" with :
> sugar-0.82.9.tar.bz2
>   sugar.SlackBuild (based on alien bobs template)
> sugar.info <http://sugar.info>
> slack-desc
>
> I got a fail quoting no "man page"  anybody into slackware out there who
> can help?

0.82 is really old...

There is a distro agnostic tool, Sweets[1]. It is a PMS like wrapper
around Zero Install, but it's reusing local distro packages via
another distro agnostic tool, PackageKit.

If you are interesting to have Sugar via Sweets[2], could you take a look
into https://packages.sugarlabs.org/project/packages?project=base and
post the Slackware package names for analogs of all these packages.
So, you can run Sugar sweets (after installing PackageKit) in Slackware.

[1]  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Sweets
[2]  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Guide/Sugar_via_Sweets

--
Aleksey