[Sugar-devel] Sugar as a Green Design Pattern

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Mon Dec 5 19:47:08 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 04:19:44PM +0100, Lionel Laské wrote:
> (sorry for cross posting, not sure that Support-gang was the best place, hope to have more luck here :-)
>

> Hi all,
>

> A friend of mine works on a book on Green Design Patterns: It means how a good software design could help to reduce the carbon footprint of a computer.
>
> In my opinion, Sugar is a good sample of that: the goal of reducing power consummation was include from the beginning to the design of the OS.

In my mind, it is mostly nothing about Sugar [learning environment],
but about OLPC's efforts of creating XO laptops. Moreover, Sugar
[learning environment] might be considered as a bad example for Green
Design Patterns, because is not all time efficient in case of computer's
resources consumption :).

> So, I proposed to my friend to write a 2 pages contribution to the book. It could be a good way to talk to the OLPC project in a different approach.
>

> What do you think ?
>
> Do you have some links, story or anecdote that can help me to write on this subject ?
>

> Thank in advance.
>

> Best regards from France.
>

>                 Lionel.

Aleksey