[Sugar-devel] Dextrose 3 patches report

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 10:51:04 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-4 at silbe.org> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> this is the entire list of patches that are applied to the official
> Dextrose 3 Sugar packages, but were not part of Dextrose 2:
>
> sugar:
> 1. Add quz and aym to ALL_LINGUAS (take 2) (bernie)
> 2. updater: Only pre-select already installed activities (fixes SL#2822,
>   AU#383) (Ajay Garg)
> 3. Don't choke on non-integer activities (Ajay Garg)
>
> sugar-toolkit:
> 4. Add new languages: quz and aym (bernie)
> 5. Tell GTK that Palettes are pop-ups (Sascha Silbe)
>

> 1.+4. are recent additions and need additional information before they
> can be submitted upstream. In particular it's important to know whether
> these language codes have been allocated official and if glibc includes
> the locales (=> might the codes changes in the process of upstreaming to
> glibc?).
>
> 2.+3. are bug fixes for the Dextrose updater that we've started to
> upstream [1], but didn't get any feedback on (=> apparently no interest
> in this upstream).

Sascha,

quz and aym are official ISO-639 codes.  This is not to say that there
may not be some challenges with them because native speakers of Aymara
and Quechua do not necessarily classify their languages the same way
as the ISO-639 maintainers (SIL).  I believe this code selection is
the best we can do for now.

As for glibc locales for these two langs (quz_PE and aym_PE).  We have
draft versions of the glibc files that are being used in local builds
to test these languages.  We have every intention of upstreaming these
locales, but I think they could use a little bit more refinement
before we take that step. I am working with the quz and aym teams to
polish these drafts  and get them ready for submission to the glibc
maintainers.

It may well be best to hold off on including them in SL Sugar while we
are working on that process.  I am committed to complete the
upstreaming of the locales so that we can make this L10n work as
widely available as possible and not just to the custom builds being
developed for the SomosAzucar Puno team, but w ewant to make sure we
do it right the first time.

I will be sure to communicate to this list (and especially directly to
Bernie) as that work moves forward, especially once we get an upstream
commit of the glibc locales.

Warmest Regards,

cjl