[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Browse: move stop/reload button into the url entry

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 25 23:18:05 EDT 2011

On 25 Aug 2011, at 17:34, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:

> How about we go with the no_background design?
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/~erikos/designs/no_background_reload_manu.png and
> http://dev.laptop.org/~erikos/designs/no_background_cancel.png
>

>  IMHO, this are better.

+1

> While you are here...
>
> Why Browse have the Back and Forward buttons at the right of the adress entry and not at the left
> like all the ohter browsers?

It was about trying to keep the primary URL input area centred as it is such a strong visual element. It looked unbalanced when we tried it off centre. FWIW Simon's screen shots in this thread are rather out of scale for what most folks will see using Sugar. If you render this with a toolbar icon size giving a grid of 16 horizontal icons, just being off centre by one icon is not too noticeable:

...but moving the forward/back buttons to the left [1] with such a relatively short URL input area feels very lopsided:

[1] personally, I don't have a strong opinion that the forward/back buttons need to be on the left

Regards,
--Gary