[Sugar-devel] Fedora-16-Alpha-i686-Live-Desktop - install problems

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue Aug 23 18:12:06 EDT 2011

Fedora-16-Alpha-i686-Live-Desktop [A]- install problems:

I could not use the install to HD Icon in gnome3-shell to install to the
usb HD [B]
These all failed for me:
1-)use default settings
2-) use whole disk (no LVM)
3-) custom with / ext 4 1000 /230000 and swap

This finally worked:
4-) format to ext4 in palimpset (on CD) then liveinst from root
terminal; use whole disk (non LVM)

grub 1.99~rc1 firstboot time user no smolt profile (empty)
3.0.0.-1
firstboot; time; user;  smolt no profile (empty)
gdm login ok
dm logs in gnome3-shell 3.1.4  correctly sees wireless and wired networking

=========install sugar=============
add/remove programs:
sugar
select all but read
add education/sugar to favorites
yum install alacarte
alacarte/education/sugar (properties add "-f" to end of command) for
full screen display
exit alt f2 (r    ) reset gnome3-shell

*sugar (sugar-emulator) in gnome3-shell
sugar starts:
== cp/About my Computer ==
Fedora release 16 (Verne)
sugar 0.93.2
cp/network does not start
F1 network neighborhood works on jabber.

(Note: Many activities seem to be messed up by new toobars) I did not
test all...
only a few start....

==Activities==
Browse fails to start. ImportError: No Module named gnome
Surf fails to start. import error: cannot import name AddressEntry

*sugar from gdm login
==Activities==
Browse fails to start. ImportError: No Module named gnome
Surf fails to start. import error: cannot import name AddressEntry
Turtle Art fails to start (falls back to f3)

ACER ASPIRE ONE N450 with external usb hp 550 DVD/CD writer

[A]
http://fedora.cat.pdx.edu/linux/releases/test/16-Alpha/Live/i686/Fedora-16-Alpha-i686-Live-Desktop.iso
[B]  250 GB hitachi external usb HD