[Sugar-devel] Adding pybox2d to Sugar platform?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 08:44:50 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> +1 to include pybox2d in the platform
>

>  I am on the fence about this one only because your criteria for
>>
>> inclusion seem to create a pretty low threshold for adding a package
>> and all that it implies (maintenance, support on all platforms, etc.).
>> For example, I use a sprite library in over one-dozen activities.
>> Should it be folded into Sugar core? By your criteria, yes. Maybe we
>> should argue "is already in use in more than one Activity *by more
>> than one developer*?
>>
>> -walter
>>

> There are two points to think about:
> * pybox2d includes binaries, then if we want include in every activity the
> binaries for all
> the architectures, is difficult, the activity is bigger, etc.

binaries makes an interesting point: presumably it is easier to build
and test them in a more centralized fashion.

> * what is the stability of sprite or any activity we want promote to a
> common place?

another reasonable point. we presumably want to only include stable
code. In the case of my sprite library, which, by the way, I am not
advocating including, it has remained quite stable for more than 3
years; however, it will undergo some changes when we migrate to gtk 3,
another consideration we will have down the road.

regards.

-walter

> Gonzalo
>

>> > Regards,
>> >   Simon
>> >
>> > PS: I have copied the 0.88 platform page over in order to bring it up to
>> > date, help welcome [2].
>> >
>> > [1] http://code.google.com/p/pybox2d/
>> > [2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.94/Platform_Components
>> >

>> --