[Sugar-devel] Adding pybox2d to Sugar platform?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 07:48:16 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 2:11 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the 2D physics library pybox2d [1] is used in Physics and Pippy, both
> contain a copy of the code. There have been discussions whether we should
> add it to the Sugar platform or not.
>
> Since it is a library that can be of use to Activity developers and is
> already in use in more than one Activity I think an inclusion makes sense.
>
> What do others think?

I am on the fence about this one only because your criteria for
inclusion seem to create a pretty low threshold for adding a package
and all that it implies (maintenance, support on all platforms, etc.).
For example, I use a sprite library in over one-dozen activities.
Should it be folded into Sugar core? By your criteria, yes. Maybe we
should argue "is already in use in more than one Activity *by more
than one developer*?

-walter

> Regards,
>   Simon
>
> PS: I have copied the 0.88 platform page over in order to bring it up to
> date, help welcome [2].
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/pybox2d/
> [2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.94/Platform_Components

Walter Bender