[Sugar-devel] i18n improvement experiment

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:42:15 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Aleksey Lim
<alsroot at activitycentral.org> wrote:

> The first line in .pot files is being generated by setup.py
> (activitybundler.py) and will be regenerated by pootle's script (that's
> doing the same), ie, it can be improved to add home page.
>
> The problem is that existed activity.info spec doesn't have home page
> info. The format that was used for TamTam is a new sweets recipe
> specification [1] that extends currnet one to make it useful in
> Sugar Packaging Management System (sweets).
>
> In any case, we can ask activity developers to add homepage key to
> current acitvity.info files. And, like with license key (still in
> progress), ASLO can check upoaded activities for that key to be sure
> that it exists. So, we can speed up adopting this key by activity
> developers and improve i18n.
>
> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Recipe_Specification

This sounds like a promising approach.  I'm pretty much agnositic as
to what gets used as a "homepage" link, Either a wiki-page or an ASLO
link (that contains a link to a wiki page) would do the trick.

The main goals  of the link would be:

1) a relatively stable link

2) Additional textual information (or trail of breadcrumbs to same)
that helps a localizer obtain some context on what the activity does
(even in the absence of a running copy).  This can help the localiser
determine whether "Play" is "play a game" (jugar) or "play a
recording/instrument" (reproducir / tocar).

cjl