[Sugar-devel] Moving to GTK3 and GObject Introspection

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sun Aug 7 05:14:57 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at activitycentral.org> wrote:
> +1, if during the process of moving to GTK3 sugar will be matured in all
> directions that it will be ready for 1.0, then switch to 1.0 is obvious.
> But not sure if it is a good idea to mix switching to gtk3 and trying
> to be 1.0 (as a well matured platform) at the same time.

1.0 doesn't have to indicate "mature product" - it could just indicate
"new underlying technologies" - but you're right in that some people
could/would interpret it with the "mature product" meaning.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Linux 3.0. This major
version change means far less than ours would (they didn't change
*anything* from normal release cycles), and so far it has not caused
any misunderstanding/turmoil, as far as I can see.

But this view does raise a few questions: Do you think Sugar would
ever be mature? To me, its one of those things that will always have
major areas for improvement around the corner.

In the case of the HIG, have we seen much movement on compliance in
the last 2 years? Would the design team even regard it as something
that should be aspired to for a mature release? (I suspect it's quite
out of date, as Sugar is a moving target)

In the end it is only a number, and there isn't anything wrong with
sticking with the current scheme, even if the discussion did go in the
"1.0" direction last time - see
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.laptop.olpc.sugar/25094/focus=25156
- but how would the existing scheme work? What release comes after
0.98? 0.100? Then 0.102?

Daniel