[Sugar-devel] New Sugar Commander for review, creates Journal entry

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Sat Aug 6 10:52:29 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 08:24:06AM -0500, James Simmons wrote:
> I have a new version of Sugar Commander which leaves a Journal entry behind.
>  In addition to solving the problem that Tony Forster reported, it also
> makes a log of the activity done by the child (adding files to the Journal,
> updating metadata, resizing images, deleting Journal entries) and puts this
> log in the Description.  This log is appended to whatever is already there,
> so if the child makes a Description the first time he runs the Activity the
> log will go under that, and if the Journal entry is resumed the new log will
> be appended to the existing log.

In more or less recent 0.92, it works fine for me (doesn't fail and
can't reproduce #3013)

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8919415/SugarCommander-8.xo

in that case, what do you think about having stability levels for activities,
ie, if people prefer stable versions, they will use them all time. But,
developer is free to relese development/testing versions as frequently
as he prefer to let some users a chance to test them (by following the
same launching scenario if only addition is explicitly allowing run
non-stable versions).

> I'd like some feedback before I post to ASLO.  I think the Journal entry I
> create is at least somewhat useful.  For the record, I still think stateless
> Activities should be possible in future versions of Sugar.

+1

sugar should not restrict doers creating such activities (especially
when it makes sence like in a la Journal activities). In any other cases
doers might create statefull activities (but sugar is not perfect for
that case right now, eg, we have resume-by-default but we have the Home
view when users can start spaming journal by new jobjects).

--
Aleksey