[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Test startup animations

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Fri Aug 5 15:47:23 EDT 2011

I have prepared a few videos to show the change in the startup animation I
am proposing
In all the videos, at the right is one XO with the patch and the left is
another without the patch,
the method to compare the times is not very scientific, but I have tried to
start the activities at the same time :)

In the first test, I used alpha and scale cairo operations to modify to
render only one time the icon
you can see the zoom effect at the start and a little improvement in startup
time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE7eXjsQm_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHqcdsAFvgE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4qMB4eayU4

If you want test in your system, you can download
http://dev.laptop.org/~gonzalo/alpha-pulsingicon/files_animation.zip
and copy the files in the directory pulse in the following directories:
icon.py -> /usr/lib/python/python2.7/site-packages/sugar/graphics/
launcher.py and pulsingicon.py ->
/usr/lib/python/python2.7/site-packages/jarabe/view/

The patches are:
http://dev.laptop.org/~gonzalo/alpha-pulsingicon/Add-alpha-and-scale-functionality-to-the-icon-can-be-used-in-the-launcher-to-do-the-animation---v2.patch
http://dev.laptop.org/~gonzalo/alpha-pulsingicon/0001-Do-startup-animation-of-the-activity-icon-using-scal.patch

You can see the effect is different, and may be is not so good like the
original.

I did another try using two buffers, with the different colors, and changing
the alpha
to obtain a similar effect. The code is a lot more complex, and is a little
slower obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rLaE0TKZXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q2RliMTLRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHBCSnrGsjA

The patchs are:

http://dev.laptop.org/~gonzalo/alpha-pulsingicon/0001-Add-alpha-to-icon-and-secondary-buffer-to-implement-.patch

http://dev.laptop.org/~gonzalo/alpha-pulsingicon/0001-Do-startup-animation-using-alpha-scale-and-a-seconda.patch

If you want test in one XO can use the files in the directory
pulse-doublebuf in the files_animation.zip

I want include this in 0.94, thoughts?

Gonzalo