[Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] for today's meeting: certificate program proposal

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Fri Aug 5 10:01:25 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 09:13:53AM -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> Following up on a thread begun in mid July
> (http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2011-July/013736.html) I
> would like to discuss the following proposal this morning:
>
> Sugar Labs will award certificates to developers to acknowledge and
> celebrate their contributions to the Sugar Learning Platform. Several
> certificates will be made available: Sugar X Contributor; Sugar
> Activity Developer; and Sugar Core Developer.
>
> The Sugar X Contributor certificate will be given to an individual who
> over the course of a sustained effort of at least 6 months contributes
> to some Sugar community team, e.g., Sugar Translation Contributor.
> (The teams are listed on the wiki). The specific criteria for
> certification will be determined by the team coordinators, but in
> general, it would involve a repeated effort on behalf of the team's
> goals at a high level of quality (e.g., of quality sufficient to be
> incorportated into our offerings).
>
> The Sugar Activity Developer certificate will be given to an
> individual who develops at least one Sugar activity that is
> subsequently posted on the Sugar activity portal and be of sufficient
> quality to be approved for public release. The activity must also
> include internationalization, including the submission of a POT file
> to the Translation Team, and documentation, including the creation of
> a page in the wiki under the Activity category. As will the
> Contributor certificates, sign off will be made by the associated team
> coordinators, in this case the Activity team.

> The Sugar Core Developer certificate will be given to an individual
> who over the course of one year makes significant contributions to the
> Sugar core libraries, e.g., sugar-toolkit or sugar. Sign off will be
> made by the Developer team coordinators.

s/Sugar Core Developer/Sugar Platform Developer/

imho, thats really bad way to assume that sugar software might be only
activities (made mostly in decentrilized manner, ie, w/o obligation to
support all glucose/fructose bureaucratic procedures) and core software
(w/ obligation to support all glucose/fructose bureaucratic procedures).
Sugar related software might not only activities and glucose/fructose
(or software that might be sometime included to glucose/fructose).
In other words, it is about having low borders for possible contributors
that can't/wan't follow core bureaucratic procedures but create
something that are not sugar activities.

(in that case I'm also -1 for having Code Developer and Platform Developer
at the same time because separating code and non-core Platform
developers is also about high borders).

--
Aleksey