[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] XO1 | Same hardware, slower internet

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed Apr 13 20:52:55 EDT 2011

> Hmm, it'd be interesting to see how much of a performance improvement
> webkit offers.

It's no big deal to run webkit-based browsers on the XO.  For instance,
all of my XO-1s have Midori installed.

The question is - what is this "performance improvement" that you are
looking for?  I believe that in practice, it is the "usability" of a
browser that is noticed the most, not the "performance".  What Midori
has is a smaller footprint -  what it does not have is a richer
experience than Firefox - the result is that I myself prefer using
Firefox on the XO-1 to using Midori on the XO-1.  [In my opinion, the
"performance" of the two is roughly equivalent (e.g., in showing YouTube
videos).]

It is worth noting that the Google Chrome browser, which *does* have the
reputation (in the general public) of better performance, does not stand
out on the XO (perhaps because its footprint is large).

> should we consider loading mobile versions of websites

Regarding creating websites suited to web clients without much
computational power -- why should the typical internet website owner
bother?  I'm going to assume there might be 100 users in the worldwide
audience who are looking for "glitz" for every one user who is looking
for "fast rendition" -- just look at the size of the images transmitted
by the typical internet website -- in my opinion any image greater than
40KB will "slow down" a web client which does not have considerable
computational power -- yet monster images abound.

Regarding a project providing web transmissions specifically aimed at a
classroom - the phrase "mobile versions of websites" is often applied to
video information formatted to be displayed on phones - yet if there are
XOs in the classroom, they have a significantly larger screen than
phones.  I expect what you are looking for is video information
formatted to be displayed on *tablets* - it will come, but I don't know
if it is available just yet.

What is definitely useful is an aimed-at-classroom setup, where a
teacher's (or lab experimenter's) mobile system broadcasts to multiple
(pupils') XO *clients* in that classroom.  [Think of it as a website
aimed at XOs.]  This setup ideally would use an XO for the system from
which the video transmissions originate.  The simplest way to provide
such functionality appears to be a slimmed-down web *server*.  [I've
seen descriptions of such, but at the moment can't remember the name of
that software (might have been proprietary).]  Since such a "website"
would be viewed at XOs, the webpages created for that site definitely
need to take into account the limited computational power of the XO.

mikus