[Sugar-devel] Requesting mentor ship for Project related to Sugar

Dipankar Patro dipankar at seeta.in
Wed Apr 6 15:32:47 EDT 2011

Hello Walter Sir,

I Dipankar Patro, Research Engineer, SEETA, would like to represent my team
from SEETA, comprising of Neeraj Gupta, Ishan Bansal, Mukul Gupta with the
following proposal of a project. The team members worked in the summer of
2010 for Ubuntu Sugar Remix, (with Manusheel Gupta, SEETA) and also made
some successful patch submissions which eventually got pushed in the main
repository. The reports regarding our work are published here:
http://opensource.seeta.in/task_reports

We all want to apply for the GSOC under GOOGLE OSPO:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2011/ospo
We would like to work on the following areas related to Sugar, and would
highly appreciate if you could mentor us. We will be presenting the same
areas as below for GSOC.

   - The following are proposed areas:

*
*
1. *Developing a faster, secure and customizable browser activity for Ubuntu
Sugar Remix.*
Since Ubuntu Sugar Remix does not have a stable 'Browse' activity due to the
hulahop package problem, we aim to develop a new browser activity
implementing Google Chrominum base and functionality making the browser
faster, secure and customizable. The same activity can be used for XO where
the performance is crucial given the hardware specifications it has.

2. *Successful porting of Sugar 0.90 on Ubuntu along with upgrading the
existing activities*.
Sugar is rapidly developing and we feel the need to be same with the Ubuntu
Sugar Remix. Porting Sugar 0.90 to USR will be the first step in providing
the latest compatible version of Sugar to Ubuntu Users.

3. *Localisation in India*
If Sugar needs to be spread across in India, we feel the need of
incorporating regional languages into it. This would include activities and
applications available in regional languages. A new reason why Sugar can be
used in Classrooms, even in Sub-Urban areas.

   - For the above, we have planned the following *structure of working and
   road map*:

All members have experience of working on the Sugar back-end (where the code
needs to be written or modified).
I have some knowledge of networking, and would like continue to work on the
same field for Sugar.
Mukul and Ishan are experienced with working on activities. Ishan specially
worked with Gtk end of activities, where as Mukul worked on the coding
portion. As Neeraj has experience in the field of localization and has also
worked on it, he will be the one specially working on the localization.

For road map please visit this page: http://opensource.seeta.in/roadmap

As you have incomparable experience in activity development on Sugar, we are
seeking for your expert guidance on the whole browser activity development,
which will definitely lead us to an outstanding achievement, and also help
Sugar grow and spread more rapidly.

Thank You for taking out time for us.

Regards,

Dipankar Patro,