[Sugar-devel] Dropbox on the XO

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:12:03 EDT 2011

Hi Christopher,

On 1 Apr 2011, at 13:01, Christoph Derndorfer <christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 01:02:46PM +0200, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> > James suggested Sugar Commander to copy the files from the dropbox
> > folder into the Journal, ...
>
> Not me, probably Other James.
>
> Yes, sorry, it was James Simmons and I only realized now that his message didn't go to the list...
>
> > And while I agree that "sugar already has many sharing features" I
> > don't think they're nearly powerful and flexible enough (which reminds
> > of seeing the expression on Richard Smith's face when I showed him
> > this photo from Peru -
> > http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/peru/peruvian_pupils_ingenious_method_for_copying_songs.html
> > - which was simply priceless;-).
>
> Very sad.
>
> Not sure why people think it's sad. To me it really is ingenious and I loved how these pupils worked around the software limitations to achieve what they wanted.
>
> > Have you actually used the feature that sends a journal entry
> from one laptop to another over wireless?  'Cause if you haven't used
> it, then perhaps you should retract your opinion until you've had a go
> at it.  There's no point whinging about software written years ago.
>
> Sorry if I touched a soft spot here! ;-)
>
> On a more serious note I saw that my previous e-mail should read "teacher's normal laptop" rather than "teacher's XO" since the main idea is still to make it easy to print children's works.

I'd be happy to see a 3rd party make a nice Dropbox activity (perhaps Dropbox would consider sponsoring a dev seeing as they are a commercial service), pretty sure it is based on WebDAV so should be some standard open source projects about to build a nice focused Sugar Activity UI around.

I wanted to raise the bandwidth issue — I do use Dropbox from time to time to share files between my iPad and PowerBook, but I find it painful having to upload and download to the Internet over broadband for more than trivial file sizes, imagine the frustration for one class full of children trying to all sync remotely with a Dropbox account. The solution really needs to use the local network e.g. as achievable via being connected to the class wireless access point, salute (not a remote network jabber server or perhaps a local XS would be OK), and using the Journal 'send to --> friend' feature.

FWIW, I've had text chat working between XOs and iChat on a Mac, think I've seen reports of Pidgen working in Gnome as well, but not recently tried testing to see if file transfer works (it didn't used to, but a fair bit of has changed since then). That could be the area most worth some more effort and testing.

Regards,
--Gary