[Sugar-devel] Replacing Illegal character ':' in username (SL #2152)

Dipankar Patro dipankar at seeta.in
Thu Sep 30 11:14:25 EDT 2010

Martin,
Thanks for your suggestions.
I did searched something on GECOS, and I was directed again to /etc/passwd
file which maintains user info in an OS.
Could you elaborate the test process a bit please? I didn't get you clearly.
The only point I could get is that server registration doesn't depend on
nick / username. If it does in code then I should remove the dependency?

Bernie,
I have some questions,

* you asked me about setting up a XS. I have a XO, a laptop and a router. I
have this link too  : http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software :P.
Am I on right direction for setting up a XS?

* After setting up the XS, what should I check? 'cause you mentioned in the
comment:
1. refusing the ":" character in the name input field of the first boot and
About Me control panel.
2. converting each ":" to "_" when sending the registration to the
schoolserver.
3. in idmgr, convert ":" to "_" as well.
I think I have found the code for 1st one. 2nd I think I know where to look
into (schoolserver.py). 3rd one, I have no clue :P
Wish you could help me with above.

Regards,
Dipankar