[Sugar-devel] wordgroupz ( A vocabulary building app) ported to sugar

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed Sep 29 11:17:41 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 03:45:01PM +0100, Gary Martin wrote:
> On 26 Sep 2010, at 08:36, Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Lexicology is the word that means studying words. It includes
> > collecting words, classifying them, researching, learning how to spell
> > it, etc. wordGroupz helps one do such things.
> >

> On a general note, rather than trying to make an .xo bundle out of all this (bundles should be self contained with all needed resources/dependancies inside), I think your best bet is to try and get it packaged somehow for distros, or perhaps speak with alsroot about his 0install work.

The idea I've came is that there are no silver bullets and issues like
this can't be effectively and obviously solved within heterogeneous
environments (like where sugar is using, e.g. several distros and
several releases of the same distro) just by e.g. bundling all time.

The way I'm implementing right now is supporting full life cycle
of activities. So, it is not obvious and fast. But what I've already
done(it will be ready to test at the end of this week) could be used
in some way. It will looks like, you are add additional keys to your
activity.info file including "requires = nltk-python" and using "sweets
push" command, send it to bazaar.sl.o. If everything is ok, users can
attach repositories (for at least for fedora and debian/ubuntu) from
bazaar.sl.o and install your activity (and all deps) from native
packages.

--
Aleksey