[Sugar-devel] Sugar and activities flag day
tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Sep 20 11:40:16 EDT 2010
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:26, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 18:09, Marco Pesenti Gritti <marco at marcopg.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>>> On 10 September 2010 13:41, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>>>> Just wanted to summarize an enlightening conversation that just
>>>> happened in #sugar:
>>> No responses..surprising!
>>> Let me try a bit harder then.
>>> My thoughts/suggestions:
>>> 1. Rename sugar-0.92 to Sugar-1.0
>>> 2. Switch to pygi and GTK+ 3 for sugar-1.0
>>> 3. Allow significant sugar API changes up until the sugar-1.0 API
>>> freeze date, which I think would land mid-January 2011. These would be
>>> subject to the usual review processes to ensure quality.
>> The time might be a bit short to do both porting and API changes. An
>> alternative would be to have a longer unstable cycle (probably in
>> parallel to a stable 0.92). I have the feeling that porting stable
>> changes to unstable for a long time might be too much work for us
>> though. So perhaps we really have to break API two times (1.0 and
> One way of seeing things that might make more palatable 0.92 == 1.0 is
> that we are really still in the first iteration and 1.0 will be when
> that first iteration reaches maturity, without big changes in the API.
> After 1.0 we can start working on what will be one day 2.0 which
> should be the second iteration of Sugar, hopefully using what we have
> learned during these years.
> This would mean that the next cycle would be devoted to rebasing on
> top of GNOME 3 so we remain packageable in future distros and that the
> next-gen activity APIs would only come afterwards.
The hackers at #python in GIMPNet have proposed holding a hackfest for
porting Sugar to introspection and thus getting PyGObject ready.
Who else would be interested from the Sugar side? We'll also need
sponsors for travel and venue. Right now Boston, Bolzano and Prague
have been mentioned as possibilities. The GNOME Foundation will be
able to fund some travel but it will be easier to get that funding if
other organizations partner on this one.
> How does it sound?
>> Sugar-devel mailing list
>> Sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org
More information about the Sugar-devel