[Sugar-devel] Text to Speech in other Activities (was Re: [IAEP] FW: [Olpc-uruguay] MiguelEstudia (Version 1))

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Sep 15 18:50:16 EDT 2010

[adding Sugar devel]

On 16 September 2010 07:14, James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:

> Caryl,
>
> I haven't tried this out yet but I think it's a great idea.  Text to
> speech is underutilized in Activities, in my opinion.  It isn't that
> difficult to add TTS to an Activity, and every kid I've ever shown my
> XO to has been delighted to hear it speak!
>
> James Simmons

Hi James,

I agree - we always have Speak open at demos. Do you have any documentation
on how to get the speech engine running in other activities? I wasn't quite
sure how to access (engine) & Alice when I spent a few hours a few months
ago looking into a language flash cards[1]

Tim

[1] Such as http://remembersaurus.com/