[Sugar-devel] What should system mood really mean? (forked from #2141 UNSP: Memory and CPU status indicator for the frame.)

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 12:34:07 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Anish Mangal <anishmangal2002 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Idea!
>
> How about extending the meaning of 'system mood' to more than just the
> memory and cpu usage metrics.
>
> What would contribute to my system being 'unhappy'? Off the top my
> head, the ones I could think of are:
>
> + I'm almost out of resources (cpu, memory).
> + If I have a battery, its almost empty.
> + If I have wireless connectivity, I have very low signal strength.
> + I'm almost out of physical storage space.
>

> + <more suggestions>

For Sugar on a Stick, the *device mapper* service dmsetup provides a
status report
which shows the consumption of space allocated for persistent storage, the
snapshot overlay file. *Sugar Cellar* is a small, utility script which uses
that service to allow for Learner testing and discovery. This will help
Learners manage their storage resources and learn ways to economize limited
resources. [http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/LiveOS_image]

Sugar Cellar is a component of Sugar on a Stick/Sugar
Clone<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Sugar_Clone>
.

     --Fred