[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Policy for activities for downstream inclusion

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Wed Sep 15 09:38:34 EDT 2010

Excerpts from David Farning's message of Wed Sep 15 14:28:05 +0200 2010:

> >> We should not go from the git repository. Either use the .xo or a tarball.
> For the entire 'why' I will have to refer you to the the Debain
> mailing lists. /me ducks  The short answer is Debian packaging is
> premised on the idea of a 'pristine source' which historically has
> been a publicly available tarball.

I understand that part. However it sounded like Simon implied it
would be bad behaviour if a distro maintainer fetched from git even if
the git repo is appropriately tagged and exactly matched the tarball. But
maybe I just misinterpreted his mail.

FWIW, the ability to pull both Debian package management files and
updated upstream source from git repos and combine them locally to
produce snapshot packages for testing has been very useful to me.
I would love to see more maintainers use git repos in a way that enables
this.

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/