[Sugar-devel] #2141 UNSP: Memory and CPU status indicator for the frame.

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Sep 15 06:12:44 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:40:06AM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> Basically, I don't see how this could work without being tuned to very
> specific systems.

I've reviewed the patch [1], and I disagree with your assessment.  It
would work without any tuning to specific systems.  The learner would
learn that system response correlates to the face.

It would only work on Linux, but since that is a dependency of Sugar I
can't see how non-portability would be an issue.  The code gracefully
degrades if /proc entries are not present.

It uses documented Linux kernel interfaces, which may be invalidated in
future, but those interfaces have lasted a long time without significant
change, and there are many tools that depend on these interfaces.

> Now, I seem to be the only one concerned about this [...]

I'd be more concerned about your concern if I could understand how you
drew your conclusions about the function not working without being tuned
to very specific systems.

> When people start complaining about their faces being always happy or
> sad I expect you to help out.

As a general rule, I would expect no help from coders who contributed
code to an open source project in the past, but help is always welcome,
and the contributor could be one of the first people to be asked when
code breaks.

1.
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/attachment/ticket/2141/cpu-and-memory-resource-indicator.patch

--