[Sugar-devel] Sugar and activities flag day

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Sep 14 04:38:54 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 17:58, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 10 September 2010 13:41, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Just wanted to summarize an enlightening conversation that just
>> happened in #sugar:
>
> No responses..surprising!
> Let me try a bit harder then.
>
> My thoughts/suggestions:
>
> 1. Rename sugar-0.92 to Sugar-1.0
>
> 2. Switch to pygi and GTK+ 3 for sugar-1.0
>
> 3. Allow significant sugar API changes up until the sugar-1.0 API
> freeze date, which I think would land mid-January 2011. These would be
> subject to the usual review processes to ensure quality.
>
> 4. Ignore the silly people who draw large conclusions from looking at
> a version number
>
> 5. Publicise the fact that sugar-1.0 is an API break in all activities
>
> 6. If anyone had plans or specific goals for sugar-1.0 that won't be
> ready in time, push them off to sugar-2.0 (which can be released on
> the original timeline that people had thought for the original
> sugar-1.0)
>
> 7. switch to python3 at the same time? (ok, this one wasn't discussed,
> and I'm not sure of the realities, just something that crossed my
> mind!)

I'm not sure about the concrete advantages Python 3 brings, other than
remaining packageable once distros move to it, but J5 is porting
PyGObject to Python 3 and once we have dropped static bindings we'll
have a much easier path to it. OTOH, if 1.0 supports 2.7 and doesn't
use anything deprecated, the move to 3.0 would be smoother.

Regards,

Tomeu