[Sugar-devel] xo colors & gradients

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 7 20:53:54 EDT 2010

Hi Erik,

On 7 Sep 2010, at 19:01, Erik Blankinship <erikb at mediamods.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
>  I don't think I've seen any activity icons try this yet, but it might work for some specific cases if it's not used to try and make 3d style shaded button icons.
>

> The sample activity icon with a graident I put on the almanac causes the launching of a dummy activity on the xo-1 (and other older computers too, I presume) to stutter.  I suspect this is because sugar is rendering the colored version of the icon at launch time.  If this is the case, the xo-colored activity icon might be something sugar should pre-render?

There has been efforts in pre-rendering SVGs at specific sizes, but no clear improvements for the general case, the catch being that activity icons vary in fill/stroke colour and in scale depending where in the interface they are needed. Of course special cases like icons with alpha gradients may well be measurably helped by such optimisations, but are not part of the core Sugar style guidelines, so I'd hate to see effort burnt there when there are so many other things we could do with (unless their use also overlaps with other more common use cases). Sugar is severely lacking in efficient animation and alpha compositing abilities, for it's most common hardware platform, we can't even show a dialogue while dimming out the background, or translate/zoom in a change of view.

Regards,
--Gary