[Sugar-devel] Patch review request for ticket #2290

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Sep 6 06:42:12 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 11:51, Marco Pesenti Gritti <marco at marcopg.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Dipankar Patro <dipankar at seeta.in> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In reference to ticket #2290 (http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2290)
>>
>> I have uploaded a patch (have attached it too).
>>
>> Problem: in the register procedure the time out of connection was not
>> implemented, for an unavailable server.
>>
>> Solution in Patch:
>> - Have implemented a TimedOut connection (TimedOutServerProxy( ) function)
>> which encounters the problem of unavailable servers.
>> - The connection timeout can be changed in seconds through the variable :
>> 'timeout'.
>> The default setting is at : timeout=socket._GLOBAL_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT
>> Change it to : timeout=10, to find Sugar does not freeze anymore.
>
> How long is the default timeout? Are we freezing because we are doing
> the xmlrpc requests synchronously?

Previous discussion is actually in
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2289 and not in #2290.

Looks like we cannot do XML-RPC with GIO because it doesn't support
POST for http requests.

The right component in our stack would be libsoup but we find again
that we need introspection to use it because nobody cared to write,
maintain and package python bindings for it.

This makes xmlrpclib usage async, but it also uses private API:

http://www.mail-archive.com/pygtk@daa.com.au/msg12971.html

So maybe the best we can do for now is indeed setting a timeout.

Regards,

Tomeu