[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Read: focus after launching

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Oct 26 07:45:25 EDT 2010

Hi,

thanks for all the input on this.

On 10/15/2010 12:37 AM, Lucian Branescu wrote:
> On 14 October 2010 09:38, Sascha Silbe
> <sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org>  wrote:
>> Excerpts from Simon Schampijer's message of Wed Oct 13 12:45:09 +0200 2010:
>>
>>> when working on the issue in Read that the dpad keys do not work
>>> directly when in ebook mode [1], I postulated that Read when it comes up
>>> should always grab the focus on the view so scrolling using the arrow
>>> keys is directly possible.
>>
>> +1
>> This is quite annoying (especially so since I usually scroll using the
>> cursor keys, not a pointing device). I consider it a bug, but haven't
>> bothered reporting it yet since there were more important ones (not
>> working at all on recent distros for a start).

heh sure ;p

>> Like Daniel I think that all activities (or all applications for that
>> matter - I have the same problem with non-Sugar applications as well)
>> should start with a sensible focus selected.
>>
>> We should check where focus gets assigned by default in activities that
>> don't set it explicitly. Depending on the outcome (e.g. if it's in the
>> tool bar by default), setting the focus in
>> sugar.activity.activity.Activity.set_canvas() might be a good idea.
>
> +1 on adding this to Read, don't know about other activities.
>
> I'll do it as soon as I get time to fix Read.

As it turned out Read already does listen for various scrolling keys in
the epubviewer [1], so this works only for epubs but not for pdfs. Doing
the same does sound the best solution to me [2].

In master we might want to check for a general selection of a focus like
Sascha has been describing.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10396#comment:21