[Sugar-devel] Activity updates

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Oct 23 14:44:23 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 14:47 +0100, Gary Martin wrote:

> 0.90 has been a little rough so far on Activities, not really Sugar
> changes, but all the churn going on in F14 dependencies. 0.92 is
> likely going to be much, much more painful, with perhaps the majority
> of existing activities breaking, and requiring a maintenance release
> just to launch. :(

We can't do much about API breakage caused by the OS, but we don't ever
need to break the API of sugar-toolkit. We could just retain the old
toolkit and install new versions in parallel.

An simpleminded way to do it would be switching the module name from
"sugar" to "sugar2". A slightly better approach would be hiding the new
sugar-toolkit in a separate directory that would be added to the
PYTHONPATH before launching the activity, but only if the activity.info
advertises compatibility with the new API.