[Sugar-devel] How to copy something from the Journal to a pendrive? FotoToon export?

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Sat Oct 23 09:38:34 EDT 2010

Excerpts from tom.staubitz at fhtw-berlin.de's message of Sun Oct 17 16:44:40 +0200 2010:

> So what would be the right medium to interchange data between Sugar systems?

That's a good question I'm afraid. Even file transfer (sending entries
from the Journal to a friend) doesn't preserve most of the metadata,
though it does at least transmit the MIME type.
I've filed an RFE (Request for enhancement) [1] so we remember to fix
this.

[registering MIME types for activities]
> Does this mean that in the FotoToon example I could manually add a mimetypes.xml
> to the .zip file, remove the zip extension and FotoToon should be able to recognize this again?

No. The mimetypes.xml needs to be part of the activity bundle, i.e. the
"program code". Putting it inside a random data store entry won't have
an effect.

> > There is a way to transfer a data store entry including all of its
> > metadata: Journal Entry Bundles [3]. Unfortunately the only way (that I
> > know of) to _create_ such a bundle is my Backup activity [4] and it
> > stores the entire data store instead of a single entry.
>
> Would the copy-from-journal / copy-to-journal scripts do the trick?

Even copy-to-journal can only set the MIME type, but not the ID of the
activity, I'm afraid. Filed another RFE [2] about that.

> > It also uses a
> > different MIME type and file extension (to make sure that these bundles
> > are handled by the Restore activity [5] which can cope with JEBs
> > containing multiple entries, unlike the Journal) but that would be easy
> > enough to work around (by renaming the file).
>
> But it would mean that if I'm doing a Backup on User1's XO and doing a Restore on User2's XO, User2's data is lost and she's got all the stuff from User1 in her journal, right?

Only if you're using the Dextrose Journal Backup Feature [3]. The
Backup [4] and Restore [5] activities however have been carefully
designed not to destroy user data. Entries are never deleted and only
overwritten if the backup bundle contains an (apparently) more recent
version than the Journal.

Sascha

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2473
[2] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2472