[Sugar-devel] wordgroupz ( A vocabulary building app) ported to sugar

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 21 09:58:49 EDT 2010

On 20 Oct 2010, at 10:30, Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Tim McNamara
> <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:
>> I think "Collect" would be an excellent name for an Activity. It's a verb
>> with a single word. I don't think you should worry about being too accurate
>> with the name, because 1) it inhibits growing the application later, 2) we
>> want to encourage discovery - telling too much doesn't allow learners to
>> explore, 3) it enables other locations to translate the Activity into their
>> own language and 4) consistency with other Activities makes the whole of
>> Sugar's brand stronger.
> ok
>
>> If you can, remove all words from the icon. Translating strings within SVG
>> files seems like an unnecessary hassle.
> @Gary
> Can you think of an icon that doesn't contain any word, but also
> represent the purpose of wordgroupz.

Will keep trying... also means I don't have to worry about as much what you finally name your activity :-)

FWIW: "Collect Words" is my favourite suggestion.

Quick question: Does wordgroupz allow you to collect words in different languages, say if I wanted to group the Arabic, Spanish, and English word for "Hello" together (as a way of learning language vocabulary)? If it can support that use, I could possibly use an icon with a single word in several different languages.

--Gary